24 tropical islands scattered all over Lianga Bay in the province of Surigao del Sur offer respite to tourists who want to experience crystal clear waters, fine white sand, and an epic view. Known as Britania Islands, this hidden gem of Surigao del Sur definitely deserves a spot on your travel bucket list.
Most of the islands are uninhabited. The main attraction is an island hopping package that covers four main islands: Hiyor-Hiyoran, Hagonoy, Naked Island, and Boslon Island.
- Hagonoy Island – Usually the first stop, Hagonoy Island gives you that island vibe due to the numerous coconut trees. Tourists mainly come here for some IG-worthy photos.
- Naked Island – Nothing but a white sand bar surrounded by crystal clear waters, hence, the name Naked Island. Take your sun blocks out! No single tree can be seen in sight, so this can be a perfect place to get some tan. This island resembles the White Island in Camiguin, but a bit bigger.
- Boslon Island – This is where most of the island action happens. The largest of all the Britania Islands, various water sports and activities are offered to tourists such as banana boat, flying fish, and disco ball rides in Boslon Island. Most of the tourists have lunch here so they can spend more time exploring it. Boslon boasts of picturesque limestone formations that resemble those in El Nido, Palawan. There are also a lot of local vendors who sell sea urchins.
- Hiyor-Hiyoran Island – usually the last stop and an opportunity to do some last-minute swimming or relaxing in the sand.
The trip to Britania Islands can be finished within a day. Hence, overnight accommodation is not really needed. But if you want to spend the night there, there are resorts around the area (La Entrada Resort, Mac Arthur’s Place, and Villa Rosalina Beach Resort are some of the most popular around the area) that can offer such deals.
RATES & OTHER INFORMATION
- Entrance fee: ₱25
- La Entrada Resort – Prices start at P1000
- Boat fee: ₱1500 (to the 4 main islands only); ₱2000 (to all Britania islands)
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/IslaBritania
- Travel tip: It’s best to visit on a low tide so that you get to fully enjoy the Naked Island, which, resembles more of a sandbar.
HOW TO GET THERE?
Exact location: San Agustin, Surigao del Sur
BY BUS: Take a flight bound for Butuan. From there, ride a bus bound for Bislig (signboard should have “Mangagoy” on it). Travel time is 3 hours. Then get off at San Franz or Barobo bus terminal. From the terminal, ride a bus/jeep/van headed for Tandag and stop at Salvacion in San Agustin. Lastly, hail a tricycle that will take you to the port.