We have always known that we are living just hours away from different kinds of paradise and the world is slowly discovering that too.
Time Magazine has included the Philippines’ Siargao island in its list of the “world’s greatest places” for 2021 with its short description “Surf’s up”.
The picturesque beauty of Siargao Island has captured the eyes of the world among 99 other international “extraordinary destinations to explore.”
Located in Surigao del Norte and known to be the “Surfing Capital of the Philippines”, it has become a tourist haven for both local and foreign travelers. There you can practice your surfing skills, swim in caves and lagoons and have an amazing time living an island life.
According to Time Magazine, they solicited nominations from its global roster of correspondents and contributors, “with an eye toward those offering new and exciting experiences.” This year they wanted to highlight ingenuity, creativity on revitalization and re-openings in destinations across the world amid extraordinary circumstances.
The teardrop-shaped island is a unique experience in a sea of mainstream travel destinations in the Philippines, a paradise that found ways to adapt, build and innovate, which is what made Siargao in to the list.
And to those working travelers, worry not for Siargao got additional cell towers to improve data connectivity in the area so you can still work while taking a vacation.
Some of the idyllic and unique destinations in the top 100 with their short descriptions:
- Accra in Ghana- A hub of creativity and culture
- Bangkok in Thailand- Perpetual motion
- Christchurch in New Zealand- Rebuilding from rubble
- Gyeongju in South Korea- Historic gem
- Ho Chi Minh city in Vietnam- Tastes of Vietnam
- Island of Hawaii- Volcanoes and vistas
- Kruger National Park in South Africa- On the wild side
- Napa Valley in California- Restoring wine country
- Negev Desert in Israel- Desert Cultivation
How to get there?
Click this link for a complete guide on how to travel to Siargao during the pandemic.