Cebu is undoubtedly booming and on its path to being the most livable city in the world, as evidenced by the passage of a proposed rule providing free public internet access in all of Cebu City’s barangays.
Barangay Internet Access Points Ordinance
Residents of 80 barangays in Cebu City will enjoy the free WiFi service provided by the City Government. The concept for the Community FREE WIFI (Libreng Barangay internet access points) appears in section 3 of the code, according to Cebu City Councilor Eduardo Rama Jr., the ordinance’s author.
- Promote easy access to information and services relevant to the delivery of public services through the use of wireless internet;
- Facilitate for the mediums of learning and information technology through cost-efficient use of wireless internet;
- Facilitates competitiveness through information and communication technology among Barangays;
Councilor Rama hopes that through this, effective public service will be improved and also as an education capital, help the student’s internet needs in the city.
The Management Information and Computer Services (MICS) Department will supervise its implementation while the barangay captain under the supervision of the Office of the Mayor have direct control over the barangay internet access.
The funding for the program should at least be P8 million per year as Maintaining and Other Operating Expenses (MOOE), subject to the approval of the City Council.
Section 7 in the Ordinance:
“All constituents in the Barangay shall be allowed to access free wireless internet connection in the Barangay Internet Access Points which are subject to rules and regulations established by the said Barangay.”
Note: All barangays are prohibited from collecting fees directly or indirectly related to the access of wireless internet services in the barangay access points.
WIFI Map: Access Points per Barangays
As stated in the ordinance, these access points shall be near a barangay hall or public school whichever is deemed strategically located. Here are the confirmed access points in the 15 Barangays in Cebu.
Brgy. San Nicolas
- Beside Junreb Store
- Beside Mama Gonz Tindahan
- BUP Covered Court
- A. Lopez St. JBCarasco Pharmacy
Brgy. Cogon Pardo
- Cogon Pardo Brgy. Hall
Brgy. Duljo Fatima
- Spolarium St. Niño Chapel
- L. Gabuya St. beside Yan-Yan Agrivet
- Sitio Tinabangay
- F. Flories St.- F. Rallos St.
- L. Abellar St. beside Pasil Elementary School
Brgy. Punta Princesa
- WY Enterprises
- Way Tugpahay Siomai sa Tisa
- Beside Farmacia Dozen & Gen. Merchandise
Brgy. San Nicolas Proper
- Tres De Abril St.
Brgy. Sawang Calero
- R. Magsaysay St. near Sawang Calero Elementary School
- Milo Office (Sinsin)
- Suba Barangay Hall
Brgy Sudlon II
- Milo Office (Sudlon 2)
- Near Brgy. Hall of Sudlon 2