Somewhere in the middle of Southern Leyte’s pristine waters is their own little version of Maldives – Tagbak Marine Park.
Tagbak Marine Park is an underwater paradise thriving with a wide range of marine flora and fauna. It is a small, uninhabited island situated close to the Municipality of Liloan and is part of a protected marine sanctuary.
Under its crystal clear waters are lovely and enchanting corals housing a number of fishes and other sea creatures which is the product of the government’s efforts to protect and preserve the natural beauty of these underwater wonders.
The most exciting thing about Tagbak Marine Park is the chance to be able have the sanctuary all to yourself or your group, exploring and appreciating all that it has to offer all day without the stress of a crowd or the disturbance of strangers. The caretakers of the marine park can only allow one group of visitors per day to keep the underwater park in its pristine condition and to also be able to accommodate everybody in their only cottage.
Sitting at the very center of the marine sanctuary is a group of rocks called the Puy-aw Islet which is surrounded by the turquoise waters and marbled with the dark shadows of a coral garden – a breathtaking scenery which could be seen from the wooden gazebo or cottage that sits right next to it. They are linked by a bamboo bridge to allow the tourists to cross over to the shade.
The gazebo also serves as a view deck with a panoramic view of the islet and the entire coral garden, as well as the distant islands where the tourists came from. It offers shade from the sun where everyone can prepare for the various water activities that’s coming next.
The coral garden is densely populated by multi-colored damselfishes which is a lovely view to see when snorkeling but together with the damselfishes are clusters of dark, long-spined sea urchins just casually sitting on the seafloor.
After snorkeling, the guests are introduced to multiple activities that highlight the beautiful coral gardens underwater as well as the stunning sceneries of islets and islands in the distance. Guests will be able to enjoy exciting activities such as paddle boarding, kayaking, and many more.
RATES & OTHER INFORMATION
- Water shoes or similar footwear are recommended to avoid getting pricked by sea urchins.
- Contact the tour guide beforehand to guarantee your reservation.
- Food, water, and eating utensils are a must. Practice CLAYGO!
- Regular bread is allowed for feeding the small fishes.
- Only ONE group per day can be accommodated.
- Entrance Fee: P10 per person
- Cottages: P300
- Boat: P200 for every group of 10
- Stand-up Paddle Boarding: P150 for 3 hours
- Kayak Boat Single: P200 for 3 hours
- Kayak Boat Tandem: P300 for 3 hours
- Snorkeling: P100 for 3 hours
- Corkage fee: None
- Contact numbers: 0995-372-1452
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/TMPLiloan/
HOW TO GET THERE?
Exact location: Sitio Tagbak, Tabugon, Lilo-an, Southern Leyte, Visayas
- Find your way to Tacloban New Bus Terminal. From there, take a van or bus going to Sogod or Liloan, respectively. Davao buses pass by Liloan so it is an option. The travel takes around three hours.
- If you took the van, you will get down in Sogod Terminal. From there, take a jeepney going to Liloan. Travel time takes an hour.
- Upon arrival in Liloan Terminal, go directly to the Municipal Tourism Office which is just walking distance from the terminal. Ask directions from the locals if you’re unsure.
- After paying the fees at the tourism office, someone will take you to Tagbak Marine Park.